Tuesday, April 9, 2013
My Platinum Carbon desk pen was a joy to use on this paper, and I found myself wanting to draw as precisely and neatly as I could, as I studied my reference photo of Alaskan fireweed from our 2009 trip to Alaska. But I didn't want a "tight" painting, so when it came time to use watercolors, I strove for a loose and lush color. Breaking "archival rules", I went ahead and used Holbein Opera in a mix with Cobalt for my flower petals. A bit of Pyrrol Orange brought a touch of warmth to the nearer blooms. My photo had plenty of medium-to-dark green bokeh for the background, but I aimed for more spring-like, brighter shades of green for this background. I don't make a habit to finish with spatter, but I love it when other artists do this, so I incorporated some spatter here with my bristle (stencil) brush.